Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Pro- and Anti-Rape

This story

The most talked about honoree of the 2008 Glamour Women of the Year awards was a small child of 10. Nujood Ali, who flew all the way from her native Yemen for the ritzy Carnegie Hall gala, was married off by impoverished parents to a 30-year-old man who raped and abused her.


reminded me of the demand of former Haaretz editor David Landau that the US should rape Israel.

The thing though is that the incoming Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, said this at the above event:

"one of the greatest women I have ever seen is Nujood. She set an example with her courage I hope will continue to challenge all of us."


and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said

"I can't wait to meet [Ali]. What an incredible story. That's going to be a great inspiration to talk to her."


So, why is Israel still in trouble? Why do I think that some are trying to rape Israel and no one is very upset?

No comments: